The world of Bobbsey Twins

The Bobbsey Twins at School
鲍勃西双胞胎的校园纪事

LAURA LEE HOPE
劳拉 莉 霍普

译者:Ciao Chen

The Bobbsey Twins at School

CHAPTER I A CIRCUS TRAIN

"MAMMA, how much longer have we got to ride?" asked Nan Bobbsey, turning in her seat in the railroad car, to look at her parents, who sat behind her.
"Are you getting tired?" asked Nan's brother Bert. "If you are I'll sit next to the window, and watch the telegraph poles and trees go by. Maybe that's what tires you, Nan," he added, and his father smiled, for he saw that Bert had two thoughts for himself, and one for his sister.
"No, I'm not tired of the scenery," answered the brownhaired and browneyed girl, "but you may sit next the window, Bert, if you like."
"Thanks!" he exclaimed as he scrambled over to the place his sister gave up.
"Are you tired, dearie?" asked Mrs. Bobbsey, leaning forward and smoothing out her daughter's hair with her hand. "If you would like to sit with me and put your head in my lap, papa can go to another seat and… "
"Oh, no, mamma, I'm not as tired as that," and Nan laughed. "I was just wondering how soon we'd be home."
"I'd rather be back at the seashore," said Bert, not turning his gaze from the window, for the train was passing along some fields just then, and in one a boy was driving home some cows to be milked, as evening was coming on. Bert was wondering if one of the cows might not chase the boy. Bert didn't really want to see the boy hurt by a cow, of course, but he thought that if the cow was going to take after the boy, anyhow, he might just as well see it. But the cows were very well-behaved, and went along slowly.
"Yes, the seashore was nice," murmured Nan, as she leaned her head back on the cushioned seat, "but I'm glad to be going home again. want to see some of

鲍勃西双胞胎的校园纪事

第一章 马戏团的火车

“妈妈,我们还要坐多久了?”囡鲍勃西钻回火车上的座位时,问坐在身边的父母。

“你觉得累了吗?”囡的哥哥伯特问,“如果觉得累,那换我坐在窗边好了,可以看窗外的电线杆和树木,你是看风景看累了吧,囡,”他补充着说,父亲笑了,因为他发觉伯特的给囡的建议更多的是为了自己。

“没有,我不是看倦了风景,”有着一头棕褐色头发的囡回答说,“但你可以坐在窗边,只要你喜欢。”
“谢谢!”他欢呼着向妹妹让出的位置爬过去。
“你是累了吗,小宝贝?”鲍勃西夫人探过身,抚摸着女儿的头发,“你可以过来和我坐在一起,或者把头枕在我的膝盖休息一会儿,爸爸可以去其它座位的,而且...”

“噢,不是,妈妈,我并没有你说的那样困,”囡笑了,“我只是想知道我们还要坐多久才能回到家。”
“我倒宁愿再回到海边,”伯特盯着窗外头也不回地说。这时,火车正在穿越田野,其中一块田地里,一个男孩赶着一群奶牛回家,因为夜色就快要降临了。伯特想,如果其中一头牛不听话就好了,当然他并不希望那男孩被牛伤着,但如果真的有一头牛不听话,他还是照样看的,但是那些牛都很安份,慢慢地向前移动着。

“是的,海边太好玩了,”囡头向后靠着椅垫,咕哝着说,“但我又想回到家,去找女孩子们,还有...”

the girls, and …"
"Yes, and I'll be looking for some of the boys, too," put in Bert. "But school will soon begin, and that's no fun!"
Mr. and Mrs. Bobbsey smiled at each other, and Mr. Bobbsey, taking out a timetable, looked to see how much longer they would be on the train.
"It's about an hour yet," he said to Nan, and she sighed. Really she was more tired than she cared to let her mother know.
Just ahead of the two Bobbsey children were another set of them. say "set" for the Bobbsey children came "in sets." There were two pairs of twins, Bert and Nan, nearly nine years of age, and Flossie and Freddie, almost five. And, whereas the two older children were rather tall and slim, with dark brown hair and eyes, the littler twins were short and fat, and had light hair and blue eyes. The two pairs of twins were quite a contrast, and many persons stopped to look at them as they passed along the street together.
"No, sir," went on Bert musingly, "school's no fun, and it starts about a week after we get home. No chance to have a good time!"
"We've had fun all summer," replied his sister. "I rather like school."
"Mamma, are we going to school this year?" asked Flossie, as she looked back with a quick turning of her head that set her yellow curls to dancing.
"If we are, I'm going to sit with Flossie - can't I?" asked Freddie, kneeling in the seat so that he could face back to his father and mother. Indeed his request was not strange, since the two younger twins were always together even more so than their brother and sister.
"Yes, I think you and Freddie will start school regularly this term," said Mrs. Bobbsey, "and, if it can be arranged, you may sit together. We'll see about that. Be careful, Freddie, don't put your head out of the window," she cautioned quickly, for the little chap had turned in his seat
again, and was leaning forward to see a horse galloping about a field, kicking up its heels at the sound of the puffing engine.                         “是的,我也要去找男孩们,”伯特抢着说,“但新学期又快要开始了,真没劲!”

鲍勃西先生和鲍勃西夫人相望着笑了笑。鲍勃西先生拿出时间表,看看什么时候才能到火车站。
“现在差不多还有一个小时,”他对囡说。囡叹了一口气,其实她比跟妈妈说的还要困。

坐在两个孩子前面的是另一对双胞胎,这里说“一对”是因为他们都是成双成对的,鲍勃西家有两对双胞胎。伯特和囡,快要九岁了,还有弗洛西和弗雷迪,差不多五岁。两个较大的长
得又高又瘦,有着茶褐色的头发和眼睛。而较小的一对却长得矮矮的,胖嘟嘟的,有着淡淡的
头发和蓝眼睛。两对双胞胎的对比,在他们逛街时,常能引起路人的注目。

“不,‘先生’,”伯特一边沉思一边继续说,“学校里一点都不好玩,而且我们回家后一个
星期不到就开学了,根本没机会玩!”
    “我们不是整个暑假都玩得很开心吗?”妹妹回答说,“我更喜欢学校。”
    “妈妈,今年我们要上学了吗?”弗洛西回过头问,她调头时,金黄色的卷发调皮似的也跟着跃动。
“如果要上学,我就要和弗洛西坐在一起,可以吗?”弗雷迪问,他跪在座位上,以便能回过头看着爸爸和妈妈。他的这个要求真的一点也不奇怪,因为小双胞胎在一起的时间比他们哥哥和姐姐在一起的时间还要长。

“是的,我想你和弗雷迪这学期应该可以正常上学了,”鲍勃西夫人说,“而且,如果调座位,
你们应该可以坐在一起,我们也希望如此。小心点,弗雷迪,不要把头伸到车窗外,”她马上提醒
着说,因为那小家伙已坐回自己的座位,现在正想探身出去看窗外土地上一匹因受火车声惊吓而
尥着后蹄的马。

"It's my turn to sit by the window, anyhow," said Flossie.
"It is not! We haven't passed a station yet," disputed Freddie.
"Oh, we have so!" cried his little sister. "Freddie Bobbsey!" and she pointed her finger at him.
"Children -children," said Mrs. Bobbsey, reprovingly.
"Are you two taking turns?" asked Bert, smiling with an older brother's superior wisdom.
"Yes," answered Flossie, "he was to have the seat next to the window until we came to a station, and then it's to be my turn until we pass another station, and we have passed one, but he won't change over."
"Well, it was only a little station, anyhow," asserted Freddie, "and it came awful quick after the last one. It isn't fair!"
"There's a seat up ahead for you, Bert," suggested Mr. Bobbsey, as a gentleman got up, when the train approached a station." You can sit there, and let Flossie or Freddie take your place."
"All right," answered Bert goodnaturedly, as he got up.
The train rolled on, the two younger twins each having a window now, and Nan occupying the seat with her little brother. For a time there was quietness, until Mrs. Bobbsey said to her husband:
"Hadn't you better get some of the satchels together, Richard, and tell Dinah what she is to carry?"
"I think I will," he answered, as he went up the car aisle a little way to where a very fat colored woman sat. She was Dinah, the Bobbsey cook, and they took her with them always when going away for the summer. Now they were on their way to their city house, and of course Dinah came back, too.
"Mamma, I'm thirsty," said Flossie, after a bit. "Please may I get a drink?"
"I want one, too," said Freddie quicky. "Come on, Flossie, we'll both go down to the end of the car where the water cooler is."
"There's no cup," Nan said. "I went a little while ago, but a lady let me take her glass."

“无论如何,现在该轮到我坐在窗边了,”弗洛西说。
    “还不行,我们还没有经过一个站呢,”弗雷迪反对说。
    “噢,我们说好的!”小妹妹用手指着他嚷着说,“弗雷迪鲍勃西!”
    “孩子们,孩子们,”鲍勃西责备着说。
    “你们两个是轮流着坐的吗?”伯特问,带着一种兄长特有的微笑。
“是的,”弗洛西回答,“他可以坐在窗边的座位上,直到我们到达另外一个站,然后就轮到我坐,直到经过那个站,现在我们都已经经过一个站了,可是他还没有换过来,”
“好,但不管你怎么说,那只是一个很小的站,”弗雷迪争辩着说,“一转眼就过去了,这样太不公平!”

这时,火车进站,前面有位先生站了起来。“那个座位是你的,伯特,”父亲建议说,“你可以坐那里,让弗洛西或弗雷迪坐你的位置。”

“好的”,伯特很懂事地站起来。
火车继续前进,囡又和小弟弟弗雷迪换了位置,这样,一对小双胞胎都有了一个窗子。火车里安静了一段时间,直到鲍勃西夫人对丈夫说:“把背包都放在一起不是很好吗?理查德,然后告诉黛娜该提哪些。”

“那好的,我这就去”他一边回答,一边向前走去。前面不远坐着的就是黛娜,黛娜是位胖胖的黑人妇女,她是鲍勃西家的厨师。每次他们外出渡假都会带上她。现在他们正赶回城里的家,黛娜当然也跟着回来了。

“妈妈,我口渴了,”弗洛西说,过了一会儿,又说:“我可以喝点水吗?”
“我也想喝水,”弗雷迪马上说,“走,弗洛迪,我们到车厢后面去,那里有饮水机。”

“那里没有杯子,”囡说,“刚才我去过了,但有位女士让我用她的杯子。”

"And if there was a cup, I would rather they didn't use it," said Mrs. Bobbsey. "One never knows who has last handled a public cup."
"But I want a drink," insisted Flossie, a bit fretfully, for she was tired from the long journey.
"I know it, dear," said her mamma gently, "and I'm getting out the silver cup for you. Only you must be very careful of it, and not drop it, for it is solid silver and will dent, or mar, easily." She was searching in her bag, and presently took out a very valuable drinking cup, gold lined and with much engraving on it. The cup had been presented to Flossie and Freddie on their first birthday, and bore each of their names. They were very proud of it.
"Now be careful," warned Mrs. Bobbsey, as she held out the cup. "Hold on to the seats as you walk along."
"I'll carry the cup," said Freddie. "I'm the biggest."
  "You are not!" declared his sister quickly. "I'm just as big."
"Well, anyhow, I'm a boy," went on Freddie, and Flossie could not deny this. "And boys always carries things," her brother went on. "I'll carry the cup."
"Very well, but be careful of it," said his mother with a smile, as she handed it to him. The two children went down the aisle of the car. They stopped for a moment at the seat where Dinah was.
"Is Snoop all right?" asked Freddie, peering into a box that was made of slats, with spaces between them for air.
"'Deed an' he am, honey," said Dinah with a smile, laughing so that she shook all over her big, fleshy body.
    "I 'specs he's lonesome; aren't you, Snoop?" asked Flossie, poking her finger in one of the cracks, to caress, as well as she could, a fat, black cat.
The cat, like Dinah the cook, went with the Bobbseys on all their summer outings.
"Well, maybe he am lonesome," admitted Dinah, with another laugh,
"But he's been real good. He hadn't yowled once -not once!"

“就算有杯子,我也不愿她们用,”鲍勃西夫人说,“谁也不知道到底有什么人用过那些公用的杯子。”。
“可是我想喝水,”弗洛西焦急地抢着说,长途跋涉已让她很劳累了。
“我知道,亲爱的”妈妈温和地说,“我拿我们的银杯子给你,但你一定要小心,别弄掉了,因为这是纯银的,很容易会凹进去,或者弄坏了。”她在包里摸索了一会儿,拿出一个贵重的银杯子。杯子镶有金边,上面还刻了很多文字,用来纪念弗洛西和弗雷迪的第一个生日,其中还包括他俩的名字,他们一直都为此感到很自豪。

“现在小心了,”鲍勃西夫人拿出杯子时,又强调了一次,“走路的时候要扶着旁边的椅子。”

“我来拿杯子,”弗雷迪说,“我是最大的。”
“你不能,”弗洛西抢着说,“我也一样大。”

“但我是男孩子,”弗雷迪继续说,弗洛西无法反驳了。“通常都是男孩子拿东西的,”她哥哥继续说,“我来拿杯子。”

“那很好,拿稳了。”妈妈笑着把杯子递给他。
两个小孩子向车尾走去,他们在黛娜的座位旁停了一会儿。

“史奴比还好吗?”弗雷迪问,透过板条间的空隙,朝笼子里看了看。
“很好,它是,亲爱的,”黛娜笑着说,她笑的时候,整个巨大的,满身是肉的身体都会跟着晃动。
“我猜想它是感到寂寞了,你感到寂寞吗,史奴比?”弗洛西问,同时尽量地把小指头伸进去抚摸着这只小猫,史奴比长得又胖又黑,就像黛娜一样,整个暑假都和鲍勃西一家在一起。
“是的,也许史奴比是真的太寂寞”,黛娜赞成地说,说完又是一阵大笑。

“但它真的很乖,一次都没哭,一次都没有。”

"He'll soon be out of his cage; won't you, Snoop?" said Freddie, and then he and his sister went on to the water cooler. Near it they saw something else to look at. This was the sight of a very, very fat lady
who occupied nearly all of one seat in the end of the car. She was so large that only a very little baby could have found room beside her.
"Look - look at her," whispered Flossie to Freddie, as they paused.
The fat woman's back was toward them, and she seemed to be much interested in looking out of the window.
"She is fat," admitted Freddie. "Did you ever see one so big before?"
"Only in a circus," said Flossie.
"She'd make make two of Dinah," went on her brother.
"She would not," contradicted Flossie quickly. "'Cause Dinah's black, and this lady is white."
"That's so," admitted Freddie, with smile. "I didn't think of that."
A sway of the train nearly made Flossic fall, and she caught quickly at her brother.
"Look out!" he cried. "You 'mos knocked the cup down." "I didn't mean to," spoke Flossie. "Oh, there goes my hat! Get it, Freddie, before someone steps on it!"
Her brother managed to get the hat just as it was sliding under the seat where the fat lady sat.
After some confusion the hat was placed on Flossie's head, and once more she and her brother moved on toward the water cooler. It was getting dusk now, and some of the lamps in the car had been lighted.
Freddie, carrying the cup, filled it with water at the little faucet, and, very politely, offered it to his sister first. Freddie was no better than most boys of his age, but he did not forget some of the little polite ways his mamma was continually teaching him. One of these was "ladies first," though Freddie did not always carry it out, especially when he was in a hurry.
  "Do you want any more?" he asked, before he would get himself a drink.

“你会很快跑出笼子的,是这样吗,史奴比?”弗雷迪说,说完后就和妹妹走向饮水机,快到饮水机的时候,他俩被一个人吸引住了。那是一位很胖很胖的女士,这位女士就坐在车尾,身体几乎占据了后面的一整个座位。她的身体实在太大了,以至身边只能容得下一个小婴儿。
他们停了停,弗洛西揍近弗雷迪的耳边低声地说:“你看,你看她,”

这时,胖女士背对着他们,目光正注视着窗外,似乎已被窗外的景色迷住了。
    “她真胖,”弗雷迪赞成地说,“你以前看见过这么大的人吗?”
    “只在马戏团里看过,”弗洛西说。
    “她足有黛娜的两倍大,”哥哥继续说。
    “不可能,”弗洛西马上反对,“因为黛娜是黑人,而这位女士是白人。”

“也是的,”弗雷迪笑着表示同意,“我并没有考虑到这一点。”
    这时,火车猛地晃了一下。弗洛西差点儿摔倒,她赶紧抓紧了哥哥。
   “当心!”弗雷迪叫道,“你差点把我的杯子给碰倒了。”“我并不是故意的,”弗洛西委屈地说,                 “噢,我的帽子掉了,快帮我捡起来,不然别人会踩着。”
弗雷迪弯下腰捡帽子,帽子正好掉进胖女士的椅子下。
    忙乱了一会儿后,帽子又端端正正地戴回弗洛西的头上。他俩继续向饮水机走去。此时正值黄昏,车厢里已点起部份电灯。弗雷迪拿着杯子在水龙头上接了一杯水,然后很绅士地让妹妹先喝。他比起那些同龄的男孩子好不了多少,但他没有忘记母亲经常教给他的一些基本礼貌,其中一条就是:女士优先。虽然他也不是每时每刻都能做得到,特别是匆忙的时候。

“你还要吗?”他在一旁等着。

"Just a little," said Flossie. "The silver cup doesn't hold much."
"No, I guess it's 'cause there's so much silver in it," replied her
brother. "It's worth a lot of money, mamma said."
"Yes, and it's all ours. When I grow up I'm going to have my half made into a bracelet."
"You are?" said Freddie slowly. "If you do there won't be enough left for me to drink out of."
"Well, you can have your share of it made into a
watch, and drink out of a glass."
"That's so," agreed Freddie, his face brightening. He gave his sister more water, and then took some himself. As he drank his eyes were constantly looking at the very fat lady who filled so much of her seat.
She turned from the window and looked at the two children, smiling broadly. Freddie was somewhat confused, and looked down quickly. Just then the train gave another lurch and Freddie suddenly spilled some of the water on his coat.
   "Oh, look what you did!" cried Flossie. "And that's your best coat!"
"I - I couldn't help it," stammered Freddie.
"Never mind, little boy," said the fat lady. "It's only clean water. Come here and I'll wipe it off with my handkerchief. I'd come to you, only I'm so stout it's hard enough for me to walk anyhow, and when the train is moving I simply can't do it."
Freddie and Flossie went to her seat, and with a handkerchief, that Flossie said afterward was almost as big as a table cloth, the fat lady wiped the water off Freddie's coat.
The little boy held the silver cup in his hand, and feeling, somehow, that he ought to repay the fat lady's kindness in some way, after thanking her, he
asked: "Would you like a drink of water? I can bring it to you if you would."
"Thank you," she answered. "What a kind little boy you are! I saw you give your sister a drink first, too. Yes, I would like a drink. I've been wanting one some time, but I didn't dare get up to go after it."
"I'll get it!" cried Freddie, eager to show what a little man he was.

“还要一点点,”弗洛西说,“银杯子装不了什么水。”
“不,我觉得是因为杯子含银太多了,”哥哥回答说,“这杯子很值钱,妈妈说的。”

“是的,而且是我们俩的,长大以后我要拿自己的那一半去做手镯。”
“是吗?”弗雷迪慢慢地说,“如果这样,那我就不能用杯子去饮水了”
“那你也可以拿另外的一半去做手表呀。”
“那好呀,”弗雷迪满脸光彩,他又给妹妹倒了些开水,然后才自己喝。他喝水的时候,眼睛一直都盯着那位胖女士。
胖女士突然望过来,微笑着打量这两个孩子。弗雷迪觉得不好意思,连忙把目光移开。这时候,火车突然又晃动一下,弗雷迪一不小心,把水溅到了外套上。

“噢,你看你,这可是你最好的外套了。”弗洛西叫道。
    “我......我也没有办法。”弗雷迪结结巴巴地说。
    “没关系,小男孩,”胖女士说,“那只是一些干净的水,来,我用手帕帮你擦干净。
或者我过去也可以,但我实在太笨重,连动一动都困难,加上火车还在开,就更不可能了”
弗雷迪和弗洛西走近她的座位,她用手帕帮弗雷迪擦掉外套上的水。弗洛西后来说,那手帕
差不多和桌布一样大。

弗雷迪端着银杯子,觉得该用什么方法来答谢胖阿姨,于是问:“您要喝
点水吗?如果要,我可以端给您。”

“谢谢,”胖阿姨回答说,“你真的是个好男孩,我也看见你先让你妹妹喝水了。我的确需
要一杯水,我正等着,看有谁可以帮我,但我就是不敢自己去拿。”
    “我,我来帮你!”弗雷迪大声说,似乎只有这样才能表现出自己是一个多么懂事的小男孩。
He made his way to the cooler without accident, and then, moving slowly, taking hold of the seat on the way back, so as not to spill the water, he brought the silver cup brimful to the fat lady.
"Oh, what a beautiful cup," she said, as she took it.
"And it cost a lot of money, too," said Flossie. "It's ours -our birthday cup, and when I grow up I'm going to have a bracelet made from my half."
"That will be nice," said the fat lady, as she prepared to drink. But she never got more than a sip of the water Freddie had so kindly brought her, for, no sooner did her lips touch the cup than there was a
grinding, shrieking sound, a jar to the railway coach, and the train came to such a sudden stop that many passengers were thrown from their seats.

Flossie and Freddie sat down suddenly in the aisle, but they were so fat that they did not mind it in the least. As surprised as he was,
Freddie noticed that the fat lady was so large that she could not be thrown out of her seat, no matter how suddenly the train stopped. The little Bobbsey boy saw the water from the cup spill all over the fat lady,
and she held the silver vessel in her big, pudgy hand, looking curiously at it, as though wondering what had so quickly become of the water.
"It's a wreck - the train's off the track!" a man exclaimed.
"We've hit something!" cried another.
"It's an accident, anyhow," said still a third, and then every one seemed to be talking at once.
  Mr. Bobbsey came running down the aisle to where Flossie and Freddie still sat, dazed.
"Are you hurt?" he cried, picking them both up together, which was rather hard to do. "No - no," said Freddie slowly.

他成功地走饮水机旁,装了水,又慢慢地回来,手扶着椅子,生怕弄掉一滴水。终于用银杯子把满满的一杯水端到胖女士的跟前。
    “噢,多么精美的一个杯子。”胖女士接过杯子赞叹着说。
    “而且它还很值钱,”弗洛西说,“那是我们,我们的生日杯,长大了我要用它做手镯。”
    “那很好。”胖女士说。
    但她还来不及喝上一小口这杯弗雷迪好心地端给她的水,甚至连嘴唇都还没碰到杯子,火车好就像磨擦到什么似的一声长啸,然后一个急刹车,几乎把座位上的所有人都抛起来。
    弗洛西和弗雷迪也被抛到一边。幸好她们有点胖,所以一点都不觉得痛。令弗雷迪感到惊讶的是,那胖女士实在是太胖了,无论你怎么急刹车,对她来说,一点作用都没有。弗雷迪
还看见杯子里的水溅出来,泼得她一身都是。胖胖的手正拿着杯子,好奇地看着,
好象在考虑这杯水到底是怎么一回事。
    “出事了,火车出轨了。”一个男人惊叫道。
    “我们撞到什么了。”另一个人大声说。
    “不管怎么说,肯定是出车祸了!”又一个人说。车上人的马上慌乱起来。
    鲍勃西先生马上跑过来,两个孩子还愣愣地坐在那里,头眼昏花的。“你们伤着了吗?”他一边艰难地扶起两个孩子一边急着问。“没,没。”弗雷迪慢慢地说。

"Oh, papa, what is it?" asked Flossie, wondering whether she was going to cry.
"I don't know, my dear. Nothing serious, I guess. The engineer must have put the brakes on too quickly. I'll look out and see."
Knowing that his children were safe, Mr. Bobbsey put them down and led them back to where his wife was anxiously waiting.
"They're all right," he called. "No one seems to be hurt."
Bert Bobbsey looked out of the window. Though darkness had fallen there seemed to be many lights up ahead of the stopped train. And in the light Bert could see some camels, an elephant or two, a number of horses, and cages containing lions and tigers strung out along the track.
"Why -why, what's this -a circus?" he asked. "Look, Nan! See those monkeys!"
"Why, it is a circus -and the train must have been wrecked!" exclaimed his sister. "Oh mamma, what can it be?"
A brakeman came into the car where the Bobbseys were.
"There's no danger," he said. "Please keep your seats. A circus train that was running ahead of us got off the track, and some of the animals are loose. Our train nearly ran into an elephant, and that's why the
engineer had to stop so suddenly. We will go on I soon."
"A circus, eh?" said Mr. Bobbsey. "Well, well! This is an adventure, children. We've run into a circus train! Let's watch them catch the animals."

“噢,爸爸,这到底是怎么一回事?”弗洛西眼着着就要哭了。
“我不知道,亲爱的,但不要紧,可能就刹车太快了,等一会我再去看看。”

得知他的两个孩子都没事,鲍勃西先生就把他们都带回妈妈身边。妈妈就早就在
那里等急了。“一切都还好,”他大声说,“他们好象都没有受伤。”

鲍勃西伯特朝窗外望去,此时,虽然天色已黑,但车头前面好象还有许多灯光。
灯光中,伯特可以看见一些骆驼,一两头大象,一群马,还有许多装有狮子和老虎的
笼子被摆在铁路边。

“为什么?这是什么呀?马戏团?”他问,“快来看,囡!看那些猴子!”
    “为什么呀?这是马戏团吗?火车肯定是出事了!”妹妹惊叫着说,“噢,妈妈,
这到底是怎么回事呀?”
一个列车员起来了,就在鲍勃西一家旁边。

“大家请放心,”他说,“请大家都坐好。前面有辆马戏团的火车出轨了,有些动物走失了,我们的火车差点儿撞上一头大象,这就是我们突然刹车的原因,我们很快就会出发的。”

“马戏团的火车?呃?”鲍勃西先生说,“好,好,太妙了,孩子们,我们遇到了一辆马戏团的火车,我们来看他们怎么抓动物。”

[ 本帖最后由 Ciao 于 2006-6-25 23:23 编辑 ]
我是一片云

精华

帖子

积分

2#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-8-15 18:26 | 只看该作者

第二章

CHAPTER II SNOOP IS GONE

"PAPA, do you think a tiger would come in here?" asked Freddie, remembering all the stories of wild animals he had heard in his four years.
"Or a lion?" asked Flossie.
"Of course not!" exclaimed Nan. "Can't you see that all the wild animals are still in their cages?"
"Maybe some of 'em are loose," suggested Freddie, and he almost hoped so, as long as his father was there to protect him.
"I guess the circus men can look after them," said Bert. "May I get off, father, and look around?"
"I'd rather you wouldn't, son. You can't tell what may happen."
"Oh, look at that man after the monkey!" cried Nan.
"Yes, and the monkey's gone up on top of the tiger's cage," added Bert.
"Say, this is as good as a circus, anyhow!"
Some of the big, flaring lights, used in the tents at night, had been set going so the circus and railroad men could see to work, and this glare gave the Bobbseys and other passengers on the train a chance to see what was going on.
"There's a big elephant!" cried Freddie. "See him push the lion's cage around. Elephants are awful strong!"
"They couldn't push a railroad train," said Flossie.
"They could too!" cried her little brother, quickly.
"They could not. Could they, papa?"
"What?" asked Mr. Bobbsey, absentmindedly.
"Could an elephant push a railroad train?" asked Flossie.
"I know they could," declared Freddie. "Couldn't they, papa?"
"Now, children, don't argue. Look out of the windows," adivsed their mother.
And while the circus men are trying to catch the escaped animals I will tell you something more about the Bobbseys, and about the other books, before this one, relating to their doings.
Mr. Richard Bobbsey, and his wife Mary, the parents of the Bobbsey twins, lived in an Eastern city called Lakeport, on Lake Metoka.

第二章 史奴比不见了

“爸爸,老虎会不会跑到这里来呀?”弗雷迪问,他想到了所有野生动物的故事。
“那狮子呢?”弗洛西也跟着问。
“当然不会了!”囡解释说,“你没看到所有的野生动物都被关在笼子里吗?”
“也许它们有些跑丢了,”弗雷迪建议说,他也希望是这样,而且一点都不怕,因为他知道有父亲在身边保护着他。
“我觉得马戏团的人能看守着,”伯特说,“我可以下车去看看吗?爸爸。”
“你最好还是不要下去,谁也不知道会发生什么样的事情。”

“噢,你看猴子后面的那个男人!”囡叫着说。
  “是的,而且猴子还爬到老虎的笼子上了,”伯特补充说。
  “这就和看马戏一样好玩,不管怎么说!”
   借着帐篷里射出道道灯光,马戏团的工作人员和铁道工人正在忙碌着。鲍勃西一家和车人的乘客也有机会能把这夜间发生的事情看得一清二楚。

“那里有头大象!”弗洛迪叫道,“它正在推狮子笼呢,大象简直强壮得可怕。”

“它们不能推动火车,”弗洛西说。
“它们也能,”小哥哥马上反驳。
“它们不能,是吗,爸爸?”
“什么?”鲍勃西先生一脸茫然地问。
“一头大象能推动火车吗?”弗洛西问。
“我知道它们一定能,”弗洛迪说,“不是吗,爸爸?”
“好了,孩子们不要争了,看看窗外吧,”母亲建议说。
   当马戏团的工作人员忙着抓动物的时候,我想告诉各位读者更多的关于鲍勃西一家的事情,一些关于其它书,在这一本之前,与他们的活动相关的事情。
鲍勃西.理查德先生和玛丽,也就是鲍勃西双胞胎的父母,生活在一个叫做湖畔港的东部城市,位于密土卡湖。
Mr. Bobbsey was in the lumber business, and the yard, with its great piles of logs and boards, was near the lake, on which the twins often went in boats. There was also a river running into the lake, not far from the saw mill.
Their house was about a quarter of a mile away from the lumber yard, on a fashionable street, and about it was a large lawn, while in the back Sam Johnson, the colored man of all work, and the husband of Dinah, had a fine garden. The Bobbseys had many vegetables from this garden.
There was also a barn near the house, and in this the children had many good times. Flossie and Freddie played there more than did Nan and Bert, who were growing too old for games of that sort.
As I have said, Bert and Nan were rather tall and thin, while Flossie and Freddie were short and fat. Mr. Bobbsey used often to call Flossie his "Fat Fairy," which always made her laugh. And Freddie had a pet
name, too. It was "Fat Fireman," for he often played that he was a fireman; putting out makebelieve fires, and pretending he was a fire engine. Once or twice his father had taken him to see a real one, and this pleased Freddie very much.
In the first book of this series, called "The Bobbsey Twins," I told you something of the fun the four children had in their home town. They had troubles, too, and Danny Rugg, one of the few bad boys in Lakeport, was the cause of some. Also about a certain broken window; what happened when the twins went coasting, how they had a good time in an ice boat, and how they did many other things.
Snoop, the fat, black kitten, played a part in the story also. The Bobbsey twins were very fond of Snoop, and had kept him so many years that I suppose he ought to be called cat, instead of a kitten, now.
After the first winter's fun, told of in the book that began an account of the doings of the Bobbseys, the twins and their parents went to the home of Uncle Daniel Bobbsey, and his wife, Aunt Sarah, in Meadow Brook. In the book called "The Bobbsey Twins in the Country," I wrote down many of the things that happened during the summer.                                鲍勃西先生从事木材生意,堆满圆木和木板的木场就在湖边上。孩子们经常到湖里划船,一条流入湖的河就在锯木厂的不远处。

他们家距离木场大约有四分之一英里,在一条充满时尚色彩的大街上,屋前有一个大草坪。萨姆·约翰逊,鲍勃西家的一个黑人杂务工,黛娜的丈夫,在草地上开辟了菜园,由于他的能干,鲍勃西一家在菜园里收获了很多蔬菜。

房子旁还有谷仓,在这里,孩子们渡过了不少快乐的时光。弗洛迪和弗洛西在这里呆的时间相对要长些,因为囡的伯特已经长大,不再满足于这种简单的游戏。
前面我已经说过,伯特和囡长得又高又瘦,而弗洛迪和弗洛西则长得又矮又胖。所以通常鲍勃西先生把弗洛西叫作“胖仙女”,这常常逗得她大笑,弗洛迪也有一个绰号,就是“胖佬消防队员”,因为他经常扮成一个消防队员,想象地生成一堆火,他的手就成了灭火枪。有一次,他父亲带他去看了一个真正的消防员,这让他高兴极了。

这本系列的第一本书里,书名叫做《鲍勃西家的双胞胎》,我已经告诉过你一些发生在这里的,关于这四个孩子的趣事。他们也有麻烦。比如丹尼·罗格,一个湖畔港出了名的小坏蛋,是孩子们的麻烦之一,再比如某些破碎了的窗户,这归功于他们在湖边游玩的时候,他们会在一艘冰船上玩得很开心,还会做其它很多各种各样的事情。

史奴比,就是那个胖胖的小黑猫,是这些趣事里不可缺少的角色之一。鲍勃西家的双胞胎们很喜欢史奴比。他们养史奴比好几年了,所以我觉得现在大家应该叫它大黑猫,而不是小黑猫。

渡过了快乐的冬天,鲍勃西一家拜访了住在小溪农场的伯父伯母。伯父叫丹尼尔·鲍勃西,伯母叫莎拉。这些故事在前面的一本书里提到,书名叫作《鲍勃西双胞胎在乡村》,在这本书里,我记下了很多发生在夏天的故事。

If they had fun going off to the country, taking Snoop with them, of course, they had many more good times on arriving at the farm. There was a picnic, jolly times in the woods, a Fourth of July celebration, and though a midnight scare alarmed them for a time, still they did not mind that. But, though the twins liked the country very much, they soon had a chance to see something of the ocean, and in the third book of the series, called "The Bobbsey Twins at the Seashore," my readers will find out what happened there.
There was fun on the sand, and more fun in the water, and once the little ones got lost on an island. A great storm came up, and a ship was wrecked, and this gave the twins a chance to see the life savers, those
brave men who risk their lives to help others.
Then came closing days at Ocean Cliff, the home of Uncle William and Aunt Emily Minturn at Sunset Beach. School was soon to open, and Mr. and Mrs. Bobbsey were anxious to get back to their town home, for Flossie and Freddie were to start regular lessons now, even though it was but in the kindergarten class.
So goodbyes were said to the ocean, and though Dorothy Minturn cried a little when her cousins Nan and Flossie, and Bert and Freddie, had to leave, still she said she hoped they would come again. And so
the Bobbseys were on their way home in the train when the circus accident happened that brought them to a stop.
"And so we nearly ran into an elephant, eh?" said Mr. Bobbsey to the brakeman, who had brought in the news.
"Yes, sir. Our engineer stopped just in time."
"If we had hit him we'd gone off the track," said Freddy.
"No, we wouldn't," declared Flossie, who seemed bound to start a dispute. Perhaps she was so tired that she was fretful.
"Say, can't you two stop disputing all the while?" asked Bert, in a low voice. "You make papa and mamma nervous."
"Well, an elephant is big, anyhow," said Freddie.
"So he is, little Fat Fireman," said Nan, "Come and sit with me, and we can see the men catch the monkeys."
如果说他们来到乡村,带着史奴比,玩得很开心,当然了,他们在农场里玩得更开心。在农场里可以开野餐,还有让人乐而忘返的小树林,在农场里,他们还度过了一个令人难忘的国庆节。尽管其间的一次午夜惊吓让孩子们害怕了一阵子,但他们一点也不介意。但是,虽然双胞胎们很喜欢乡村,他们很快就有了机会去看大海。在本系列图书的第三本里面,书名是《鲍勃西双胞胎在海边》,我们的读者可以看到海边发生的一切。

沙滩上是有趣的,海水里更有趣。有一次,两个小双胞胎在海岛里迷路了。海上刮起了台风,一艘船在暴风雨里出事,这让双胞胎们有机会看到勇敢的,冒着自己的生命危险救人的救生员。

在海边的最后几天是在海崖上度过的。这里是威廉叔叔和艾米丽阿姨的家,就在落日沙滩上。眼看着就要开学了,鲍勃西夫妇急着要回家,因为弗洛迪和弗洛西现在要正式上学,虽然只是上幼儿园。所要只好向大海告别。看着四个外甥要离开,桃乐茜阿姨难过得直掉眼泪,她仍然说希望孩子们能够再回来。就这样,鲍勃西一家踏上了归家的旅程,才有了现在马戏团事故让他们停下来的一幕。

“所以,我们差点撞上了大象,是吗?”鲍勃西先生问列车员,就是刚才向大家解释事故原因的那个人。
“是的,先生,我们的火车停得很及时。”
“如果我们撞上它,火车已经脱轨了。”弗洛迪说。
“不,我们不会,”弗洛西马上表示反对,好像随时准备着与别人争论,也许是因为太累,所以变得有点烦躁了。
“说,你们俩就不能安静一下吗?”伯特责备着问,“你们吵得爸爸妈妈都心烦了。”
“好,不管你怎么说,大象是很大的,”弗洛迪说。
  “是很大,肥佬消防队员,”囡说,“来我这里坐,我们看抓猴子。”
The work of getting the escaped animals back into their cages was going on rapidly. Some of the passengers went out to watch, but the Bobbseys stayed in their seats, Mr. Bobbsey thinking this best. The catching of the monkeys was the hardest work, but soon even this was accomplished.
The wait seemed very tiresome when there was nothing more to watch, and Mr. Bobbsey looked about for some railroad man of whom he could inquire how much longer delay there would be. The conductor came through the car.
"When will we start?" asked Mr. Bobbsey.
"Not for some time, I'm afraid," spoke the tickettaker. "The wreck is a worse one than I thought at first, and some of the cars of the circus train are across the track so we can't get by. We may be here two hours yet."
"That's too bad. Where are we?"
"Just outside of Whitewood."
"Oh, that's near home!" exclaimed Mrs. Bobbsey. "Why can't we get out, Richard, walk across the fields to the trolley line, and take that home? It won't be far, and we'll be there ever so much quicker."
"Well, we could do that, I suppose," said her husband, slowly.
"That's what a number of passengers did," said the conductor.
"There's no danger in going out now -all the animals are back in their cages."
"Then that's what we'll do, children," said their father. "Gather up your things, and we'll take the trolley home. The moon is coming up, and it will soon be light."
"I'm hungry," said Freddie, fretfully.
"So am I," added his twin sister.
"Well, I have some crackers and cookies in my bag," replied Mrs. Bobbsey." You can eat those on the way. Nan, go tell Dinah that we're going to take a trolley. We can each carry something."
"I'll carry Snoop," exclaimed Freddie. He hurried down the aisle to where the cook was now standing, intending to get the box containing his pet cat."

抓动物回笼子的工作进展得很快,部分乘客还跑到车外去看。但鲍勃西一家还留在车厢里,鲍勃西先生觉得这样最安全了。抓猴子的工作是最困难的,但很快,猴子也抓完了。

等待是很无聊的,等待的过程除了看抓动物,没有什么可看的。鲍勃西先生打量着四周,看看有没有乘务员,以便问问还要耽搁多长时间。这时,列车长走了过来。

“我们什么时候才能开车?”鲍勃西先生问。
“恐怕还要等一段时间。”检票员说,“事故比我当初想像的还糟糕,马戏团的火车出轨,有的车厢横在车轨上,我们无法通过,估计还要等两个小时。

“真的是太倒霉了,我们现在在什么地方?”
“刚刚开出白树林。”
“噢,离家不远了!”鲍勃西一家欢呼。
“我们为什么不出去呢?理查德,通过前面这块田地,我们就可以到电车站,然后我们就可以坐电车回家,这也不远,我们很快就可以到那里。”
“也许吧,我们可以这样做,”丈夫慢慢地说。
“很多人都是这样做的,”列车长说。
“现在到外面去也不危险,所有的动物都抓回笼子里了。”

“好,那我们就这样吧,孩子们,”父亲说,“收拾起行李,待会儿我们坐电车回家。月亮都升起来了,再等就天亮了。”

“我肚子饿,”弗洛迪焦急地说。
“我也是,”双胞胎小妹妹也跟着说。
“没关系,我包里有饼干,”鲍勃西夫人说,“你们可以在路上吃。囡,你去告诉黛娜我们准备坐电车,我们每个人都要拿点东西。”

“我来带史奴比,”弗洛迪叫着说。他匆匆忙忙地跑到黛娜身边,想抱起装有他宠物猫的小盒子。

"Where's Snoop, Dinah? " he asked.
"Heah he am!" she said, lifting up the slatbox. "He ain't made a sound in all disconfusion, nuther."
The next moment Freddie gave a cry of dismay:
"Snoop's gone!" he wailed. "He broke open the box and he's gone! Oh, where is Snoop?"
"Ma sakes alive!" cried Dinah. The box was empty!
A hurried search of the car did not bring forth the black pet. Mr. and Mrs. Bobbsey, and some of the passengers, joined in the hunt. But there was no Snoop, and a slat that had pulled loose from one side of the box showed how he had gotten out.
"Most likely Snoop got frightened when the train stopped so suddenly, and broke loose," said Mr. Bobbsey. "We may find him outside."
"I -I hope an elephant didn't step on him" said Flossie, with a catch in her breath.
"Ohooo! Maybe a tiger or a lion has him!" wailed Freddie. "Oh, Snoop!"
"Be quiet, dear, we'll find him for you," said Mrs. Bobbsey, as she opened her satchel to get out some cookies. Then she remembered something.
"Freddie, where is that silver cup?" she asked. "You had it to get a drink. Did you give it back to me?"
"No, mamma, I -I"
"He gave the fat lady a drink from it," spoke Flossie, "and she didn't give it back."
"The train stopped just as she was drinking," went on Freddie. "I sat down on the floor -hard, and I saw the water spill on her. The fat lady has our silver cup! Oh, dear!"
"And she's gone - and Snoop is gone!" cried Flossie. "Oh! oh!"
"Is that so - did you let her take your cup, Freddie?" asked his papa. Freddie only nodded. He could not speak.
"That fat lady was with the circus," said one of the men passengers.
"Maybe you can see her outside."
"I'll look," said Mr. Bobbsey, quickly. "That cup is too valuable to lose. Come, children, we'll see if we can't find Snoop also, and then we'll take a trolley car for home."

“史奴比在哪了,黛娜?”他问。
“它就在这里,”黛娜说着提起板条盒子,“刚才大家都在慌乱的时候,它一声都不吭。”
     弗洛迪再次惊慌地喊叫起来:“史奴比不在了!”他哭喊着,“它打开笼子,不知道跑到哪里去了!噢,我的史奴比呢?”
“也许是逃生了!”黛娜也惊叫着,盒子是空的!
大家连忙在车厢里找,但并没有看到这只宠物猫。鲍勃西夫妇,还有其他好心的乘客也在帮忙找,但仍然没有找到史奴比。盒子的一根板条已经松开了,很明显,史奴比就是从这个缺口跑出来的。
“很有可能是刚才火车突然停下来的时候,史奴比被吓坏了,所以就跑出来了,”鲍勃西先生说,“也许我们可以在外面能找到。”
“我,我希望大象不要踩着它,”弗洛迪紧张地说。
“噢——!也许老虎抓到它了,”弗洛迪又哭叫起来,“噢,史奴比!”
“冷静点,亲爱的,我们会帮你找到它的,”鲍勃西夫人说,当她打开手提包拿饼干的时候,想起了一些东西。
“弗洛迪,银杯子呢?”她问,“你拿去喝水,你拿回来给我了吗?”
“没有,妈妈,我…我”
“他让一位胖女士喝水,”弗洛西说,“然后那胖女士没有还给我们。”
“她喝水的时候刚好火车停了,”弗洛迪继续说,“我被摔在地板上,我看见水泼了她一脸。胖女士拿走了我们的银杯子,噢,天!”
“而且她也不在了,史奴比也不在了!”弗洛西哭叫着说。
“噢!噢!”
“是这样吗?你让她拿你的杯子了吗,弗洛迪?”爸爸问。弗洛迪只是点头,他已经说不出话来了。
“那胖女士是和马戏团在一起的,”一名男乘客说。